Great Wall, China

Great Wall, China

Sister and Brother

Sister and Brother

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

If it's Friday, it must be Guangzhou

Friday, September 3rd:
Sadly, we had to say goodbye to Helen today. Helen has been so kind to all of us, and so very helpful with Skylar and his issues. Helen took us to the airport in Shenyang so that we could fly on to Guangzhou to complete the adoption process. The American consulate in Guangzhou is where our Chinese adoption will be finalized. It was sad to say goodbye to Helen, but also exciting to see Guangzhou. I am also happy for the distraction of changing cities.

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride."
The 3-1/2 hour flight from Shenyang to Guangzhou was the toughest flight I've ever been on. Skylar would not allow me to sit next to him, so I had to sit across the aisle. Dear Faith wanted to sit with Mommy, and Mommy with her, but Skylar couldn't have me sit that close. And, even though I was across the aisle Skylar did not want to sit in his seat or wear his seat belt. We had several patient, understanding flight attendants try to explain it to him in Chinese, but it didn't matter. He still cried and screamed and had several melt downs.

There were also numerous, kind Chinese passengers that tried to console Skylar. One in particular, a very beautiful Chinese lady made several origami swans for Skylar, which for a short period of time had him enthralled. God bless her for her kindness.

As we were landing Skylar decided he had to go potty. He screamed, cried, jumped out of his seat, and caused general mayhem. I have never been so happy to get off of a plane in all my life. I think the other passengers felt the same way.

The Garden Hotel
In Guangzhou we are staying at The Garden Hotel. I've heard so many wonderful things about this establishment, and seen many pictures on SWA's adoptive family's blogs. The pictures just don't do this hotel justice. This hotel is absolutely the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at. It is just glamorous, and very comfortable.

We have a two room suite on the 15th floor overlooking the outdoor pool and the large koi ponds and fountains. We have a seating area, office area and a flat screen TV in the living room and in the bedroom. The bathroom is spacious and has a stand up shower and over sized tub that overlooks the bedroom with an electric shade for privacy. It also has a separate, enclosed toilet area, just perfect for our privacy. This bathroom is marvelous!

Our view of Guangzhou is very nice and green and soothing. The room is very large, with enough room for Faith and Skylar to spread out and play.  :)









1 comment:

  1. Morning Sheri et al - sorry you had such a tough flight - I'm sure (as you are well aware by now!) that Skylar is still grieving - it will pass - but sorry too that I can't tell you when....

    We loved the Garden as well - a word of caution - the floor in the bathroom will get really slick when wet - we had a number of bumps with the kids there - and the pizza hut is close too! There is also a great traditional restaurant near by - I'm sure your guide (Rebecca by chance?) can show you that!

    Happy for you guys - prayers and hugs -

    aus and co.

    ReplyDelete