Great Wall, China

Great Wall, China

Sister and Brother

Sister and Brother

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tears of Sorrow, Tears of Joy

Monday, August 30th (China Time) we met Skylar. The morning got off to a bumpy start as our driver confused one address for another, so instead of taking 15 minutes to get there it took about an hour. An hour to build more anticipation, excitement, fear, and tears. 


When we finally arrived the children were already there. I recognized Lisa (chat group buddy) right away and she waved and pointed to the other side of the room where Skylar was playing. When they brought him over to me saying "Mama" he began to cry. They kept telling him "Mama" and pointing at me, and it seemed the more they told him this, the more he cried.


At first when I saw him I cried tears of joy. This is the little boy I've so longed to meet and hold, and hear his voice. I was truly amazed to see him and hold him. It seems that he had been well prepared for the day, but his grief is real and tangible. It is obvious from his actions that he loved his  foster family and the loss of their presence in his life is going to have to be grieved. 


Our dear sweet Faith is adjusting also. This day was very hard on her as she didn't understand while Skylar didn't want to be with us. She was also upset to see Mommy cry. DH and I are being very diligent in explaining everything to her and discussing her feelings. She is doing well, and being the beautiful, sweet princess that she always is. She is trying very hard to help Skylar, but this is going to take time.


There are four families here in Shenyang adopting their children, and there are two families in our group. So Helen is very busy making sure everything is perfect. She is such a blessing, she is always looking out for us, and making everything enjoyable. 


The day was a whirlwind of paperwork, writing a short essay, (yes, for those of you waiting to travel please prepare one paragraph), fingerprints for DH and I, and a red hand print for Skylar, signatures, and double checking everything. 


Afterward Helen, our wonderful guide, took us to a real Chinese restaurant to have dumplings and Liaoning province specialties. It was terrific!  Then back to our hotel room. We were so exhausted we were all in bed asleep by 7 pm. We go back to the Civil Affairs Office in the morning to finish the province portion of our paperwork, and then to the police department to begin processing Skylar's passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment