Great Wall, China

Great Wall, China

Sister and Brother

Sister and Brother

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

September 11th, 2010 - A Great Event - I Am An American!

Amazingly the flights from Beijing to Newark to Houston were not that traumatic or unbearable for Skylar, or the rest of our family. Skylar was actually somewhat under control sitting next to the window and DH. Faith was sitting on the aisle across from me, and I was relegated to sitting across the aisle by myself. Faith is my world traveler and knew what to expect. She played with her Leapster, chose what movies she wanted to watch, and was my princess. Skylar wanted to get up a lot, but DH had to deal with this as Skylar was DH obsesssed. (Which I still find odd since all his ayis were female, and we were told he spent most of his time with his foster mother.)

Once we landed in Newark and got off of the plane Skylar became an American citizen. Below are the pictures I took of him once we landed. We were excited and told him "you are an American". He was happy because we were happy. Below are pictures of our celebration. I have to add that the Immigration Officers were very friendly and helpful.



The first step as an American citizen!

1 comment:

  1. Well welcome home! BTW - love the new cover picture for your blog!

    We've had some 'interesting' experiences with our Chinese son that haven't happened with our girls....including the 'guy thing'. If I'm at home and mom tells Chase to do something, I have to 'second' the directive or it doesn't get done. But - when I'm at work - Mom's word is fine.

    On occasion Chase will be reluctant to do something I tell him - but if on the second directive I start with "Son, I am your father, ...." it happens immediately.

    It's just been what happens in our home - and while I know our kids were not in China 'that long' and had different startes etc - I still can't help but think it's the cultural 'deference' to men.

    I'd be interested to hear how it continues for you guys....and it's something that we'll have to address as he gets older - he is American and will need to learn his new cultural norms!

    hugs - happy for you guys!

    aus and co.

    ReplyDelete