Before Skylar's surgery he was enrolled in a large, public kindergarten. There were approximately 80 students split into 4 different kindergarten classes. Which, prior to Skylar's surgery (and, at that time being hopeful for the very best outcome), I felt it was something that Skylar could navigate. However, after the surgery, and Skylar's inability to let it heal, I felt this might not be the best fit.
In my mind I had thoughts of 80 kindergarten students approaching Skylar and asking; "What's wrong with your nose? Why do your eyes do that?" I fully understand that children don't mean to be cruel, but sometimes they are brutally honest.
At this point Skylar didn't have any problems with his self esteem. He was happy and healthy, well loved and balanced. I was willing to go to any effort not to upset this balance. After Skylar's surgery didn't quite turn out as well as I'd hoped, I agonized over what was best for this beautiful, sweet child of mine. I tried to contact the public school, had a few e-mails and texts, but nothing reassuring. So, being the very concerned, worried, over-achieving Mother that I am I sought other avenues. Mostly, I prayed.
I think you'll find it amusing that the answer was right next door. Our neighbor is a teacher at a private Catholic school and has always said this school was the best. But, all teachers say their school is the best. And, because where we live we can choose the school we want, it always seemed like a lot of politicking to me.
Although, after meeting the teachers, the administration staff, and the principal, my DH and I both felt this might be the best fit. Below are pictures of their first day. Even now, a month later, this is really the best fit for our children, and our family!
1st Day Orientation
Not so sure they want to be there and looking at Mommy for support.
Receiving emotional support from teacher
Making sure Mommy is still there.
Pic of teacher being fabulously supportive!!
Arriving home after 1st day of School and being deliriously happy!





No comments:
Post a Comment