Skylar's surgery went well, and the compassionate treatment we received at the hospital was way beyond our expectations. Each member of Skylar's surgical team went out of their way to alleviate Skylar's fears.
We were first met by Julie, the "Child Life Specialist". She spent about 45 minutes doing "medical play" with Skylar to familiarize him with the equipment, what would happen in the OR, what people would be there and why they were there. She was GREAT! And, Skylar had a great time playing with her.
Then we went to pre-op. Skylar impressed all by drinking the Versed on command. He just gulped it down. While waiting for the Versed to kick in our plastic surgeon and his surgical nurse, and the anesthesiologist came by. They all had a very relaxed demeanor and helped alleviate the stress of the impending surgery.
After the surgery the plastic surgeon said Skylar did not have an opening into his sinuses on the right, it was just bone. So, he had to drill an opening into the bone of his sinuses. He also created a right nostril with cartilage from Skylar's right ear.
All seemed to be going well until about 10 pm that night. My DH was sleeping on one side of Skylar and I on the other. Skylar was moving around a little and when I awoke and looked at him he was holding the packing in his hand!!! He had pulled the packing out of his nostril! :(
I paged Skylar's surgeon and made an appointment for the very next morning. DH took Skylar to the surgeon's office and had the packing replaced. The surgeon also taught DH how to re-pack Skylar's nostril in case he pulled it out again.
From that moment it has been an ongoing battle to keep the packing in. I fear at this point Skylar's newly formed nostril has collapsed. Also, some sutures at the base of this newly formed nostril have let go. I suspect Skylar has been rubbing his nose. :( Also, Skylar has pulled on his ear until all of the subcuticular sutures let go.
We went back to the surgeon AGAIN on Monday. We discussed the damage that Skylar has done to his incisions. The surgeon said that his incisions would eventually heal. I voiced my concerns over the way they would heal. Both Dr. Arthre and Stephanie (his surgical nurse) told me I'm worrying too much. At this point I cried, I felt ridiculous, but the tears just wouldn't stop. I cried for Skylar's little nose and how it will heal. I cried out of exhaustion, frustration, and stress. They were both very understanding of my tears, and hugged me and Skylar and Faith, and told us it would all be alright. They also suggested putting socks on Skylar's hands. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Too much stress, I guess.
So now in order to keep Skylar's hands off of his face I am forced to tape socks to his hands. Skylar must wear these socks on his hands 24/7. However, while these socks keep him from picking at his incisions they don't keep him from playing or coloring or eating. :)
Oh, how we tried to keep his hands off of his nose and his ear!
So, please continue to pray that Skylar's nose will heal properly.
"With GOD all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
BTW. . . My HP lap top bit the dust. I will not be able to post any pictures until we fix it or buy another. :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Came across your blog through Leslie Cryer's (her sister and I attend church together and I also have a Chinese daughter). Will be praying for your little guy.
ReplyDeleteMorning Sheri - go ahead and cry - what's the big deal about that? Kid's do it and we think it's OK - but us big folks ain't allowed? I thought us adults were allowed to do pretty much whatever we want! It's a great stress reliever - really - and God knows how much stress you are under!!
ReplyDeleteHe'll do just fine - and one of the good things about being small is that as you grow the marks fade - they do. It'll all be good eventually!
hugs - prayers - aus and co.
Hi, Aus,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments, and reminding me it's okay to cry. You are right, it did relieve some stress.
Hi, Teresa,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your prayers. They are very much appreciated!